Thursday, March 11, 2010




  Pot, $50K cash found in house
Monitor Staff Reports
TOOL–The execution of a search warrant at a Henderson County residence on Will White Road near Tool March 3 turned up a large amount of marijuana and cash, according to Henderson County Sheriff Ray Nutt.
Officers from the Henderson County Drug Enforcement Unit searched a residence owned by Mark Wayne Davis, 42, at 311 Will White Road.
Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Henry Ashford issued the search warrant.
District Attorney investigator Jody Miller assisted with the search.
More than $50,000 in currency and an unspecified large amount of marijuana were uncovered inside the residence.
Authorities seized the cash and two vehicles parked at the residence belonging to Davis.
Davis was charged with possession of marijuana, more than four ounces and less than five pounds. He was booked into the Henderson County Jail March 4 and released on a $50,000 bond the next day.
The only other charge on Davis’ criminal history was a disorderly conduct offense nine years ago for peeping into dwelling windows.

Chase ends in arrest
Monitor Staff Reports
SEVEN POINTS–A high-speed motorcycle chase through Seven Points Monday ended in the arrest of a 25-year-old Gun Barrel City resident, Jeremy Scott.
Instead of a speeding ticket, Scott was charged with evading arrest with a motor vehicle with previous convictions, which is a third degree felony, assistant police chief Dusty Bryant said.
Scott was jailed and released after posting $5,000 bond.
Bryant was running a stationary radar check on State Highway 334, near Peninsula Crossing, when a red motorcycle traveling at a high rate of speed flashed past.
Bryant tried to make a traffic stop, but Scott increased his speed and traveled through Seven Points to Farm-to-Market 85.
Scott finally stopped the motorcycle just before CR 2404. Officers Wayne Nutt andDarrell Dean assisted in the chase.

Drunk driver sentenced to 7 years for fatal wreck
Monitor Staff Reports
ATHENS–A young man critically injured in a late-evening wreck that took his friend’s life was sentenced to seven years in prison Tuesday.
Still showing visible scars from the accident, Dylan Charles Whitten, surrounded by friends and family, was sentenced by 173rd District Judge Dan Moore.
Whitten, then 19, was behind the wheel of a 1991 Dodge Neon and lost control while traveling at a high rate of speed along Legendary Lane in Gun Barrel City Jan. 15, 2009.
His friend, recent Mabank High School graduate Eric Branch, 18, was pronounced dead at the scene by Henderson County Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Dale Blaylock.
Whitten suffered multiple face/skill fractures and internal injuries when the Neon slammed into a tree around 9:15 p.m.
According to police reports, the two youths were traveling at a high rate of speed when the vehicle exited the west side of the roadway, struck a utility pole and went airborne for 140 feet before crashing through a chain-link fence and squarely hitting the tree.
Whitten was still hospitalized when he was formally charged with intoxication manslaughter, and he later pled guilty.
Branch’s family and friends also attended the hearing.


Copyright 2010, MediaOne, L.L.C.