Thursday, June 18, 2009







Eustace teen dies in rollover
By Julie Vaughan
Monitor Staff Writer

MABANK—A Eustace teen died in a one-vehicle rollover Tuesday morning on Farm-to-Market 3080 south of Canton.
Cathy Marie Bryant, 17, of Eustace, had just left her house in a 2004 Kia SUV when she was killed.
“She was westbound on FM 3080 and left the roadway on the north side, overcorrected and shot across the road and collided with a barbed wire fence in the southbound side,” Department of Public Safety Trooper Matthew Skinner said.
“The vehicle rolled three times and came to rest facing north in the southbound ditch.”
Skinner said there was nothing unusual about her travel, and that the roadway where the accident occurred was straight.
“She was going to be a Canton High School senior,” Skinner said. “She left the house between 9 and 9:30 (a.m.) and I got the call around 9:20 (a.m.), so I believe it happened around 9:15 or 9:10.”
“There are skid marks, but we will have to come back and map the scene,” Skinner said. “It is still under investigation.”
Skinner was assisted in the investigation by state trooper Ben Rolison and DPS Corporal Terry Jackson.
Also responding to the accident was the Mabank Fire Department.
Bryant was pronounced dead at the scene by Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Ronnie Daniell.

Monitor Photo/Kerry Yancey
Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Matthew Skinner (left) and Mabank
fire marshal Mat Ewaskiw huddle while Skinner investigates a one-car rollover
that killed a Eustace teenager early Tuesday on Farm-to-Market 3080 north of Mabank.

Arsonist taken for mental evaluation
Monitor Staff Reports
CANTON–Authorities took a man into custody June 10 after several fires were started up and down Interstate 20 in Van Zandt and Smith counties.
The suspect was taken to a mental health facility for evaluation and treatment.
He is believed to be a missing person reported earlier out of Edom, with a history of mental illness.
The suspect admitted to starting about 15 separate fires that afternoon.
One of them was a large fire just east of Farm-to-Market 314 on the south side of Interstate 20.
The suspect was found on the north service road, just east of Willow Branch Road, and was able to identify nearly all of the fires he set.
Van, Lindale and Ben Wheeler fire departments worked well into the evening to control several of the fires.
Those involved in clearing up the incident were fire marshal Chuck Allen, the Van Police Department, Smith County Sheriff’s Office and Fire Marshal’s Office, and the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Foot chase employs 20 police units
Monitor Staff Reports
KAUFMAN–A routine traffic stop on KC 4072 turned up a felon with a firearm Monday. Deputy Constable Vanessa Clemmo had the cuffs on Daniel Taylor, 28, of Kemp while she waited for information related to her finding a revolver in the driver’s area of the vehicle.
That’s when Taylor decided he would take his chances and took off running.
Kaufman Precinct 4 Constable Bryant Morris, based at the subcourthouse in Kemp, said several law enforcement agencies got involved in setting up a perimeter of the area on the backside of the Indian Oaks Golf Course near Peeltown.
Two hours later with the noise of a Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter in the air, the fugitive moved and was spotted by Kaufman County Fire Marshal Larry Ewing who chased Taylor into the arms of a deputy on R&R Circle, Morris said.
By Tuesday, Taylor had already bonded out on $6,500, he added.
Taylor was charged with escape while under arrest, a felon in possession of a hand gun and the theft of the handcuffs, which he had removed by the time he was recaptured.

Copyright © 2009, MediaOne, L.L.C.