Sunday, Oct. 22, 2006



  Men Beaten Up Friday the 13th
Friends Jumped in Cemetery
By Pearl Cantrell
Monitor Staff Writer

MABANK-Henderson County investigators are following up on leads on two men who severely beat and robbed two local young men close to midnight on Friday the 13th.
The incident took place in the Goshen Cemetery.
Tory Roberts, 20, Mabank, and James Buie, 20, of Eustace were just hanging out, having a talk and smoking cigars out at the cemetery, when two men they described as "drunk rednecks" drove up in a large truck and attacked them. 
They were beaten severely, but nothing life-threatening, Henderson County Sheriff's Department information officer Lt. Pat McWilliams told The Monitor.
Both young men were pouring over photo lineup books Wednesday to see if they recognized their attackers.
Buie logged his account of the event for his friends on
Buie says he and Roberts were there at least an hour before the unprovoked attack. They fought back as hard as they could, but Buie said their attackers were so drunk they weren't feeling anything. On the other hand, Buie and Roberts were feeling it.
Buie said the fight escalated when one man brought out a claw hammer and started using the stick end (at first) on them.
Buie described his injuries as a broken nose and eye socket, and he also had a piece of his scalp gouged out and a cracked jaw.
The attackers also broke the windows on their truck and repeatedly kicked Roberts while he was down on the ground, Buie said.
Once the attackers felt they had totally subdued the two young men, they stopped, told them to leave and then left.
However, they were not in the best shape for driving, and they couldn't find the keys which were thrown aside at the beginning of the fight to keep their attackers from stealing the truck.
Before they could leave, their attackers returned. Obviously, they needed a second lesson, and so another beating commenced. It ended about 10-15 minutes later when they found $5 in Roberts' wallet. Buie had no money.
The two beaten men made their way to the Shell station in Mabank and called their parents and 9-1-1. Buie was transported by ambulance to the Gun Barrel City emergency room, and Roberts' parents transported him to Presbyterian Hospital in Kaufman.
Buie received eight stitches in his head, two staples in his leg (from broken glass), and was treated for a fractured eye socket, jawbone and broken nose.


Oil Tank Sparks Blaze in Malakoff
Monitor Staff Reports
MALAKOFF-At least three fire and rescue units fought a oil tank fire Wednesday in Malakoff.
The near-empty transport oil tank and trailer were fully involved when firefighters arrived at the scene, Malakoff Fire Chief Kirk Kebodeaux reported.
Glenn Leopard, who has been maintaining the Malakoff area oil rigs for 40 years, has a theory of how it got started.
"There was a little oil on the tank, and I guess static electricity ignited the oil while I was filling up the tank," he said.
Leopard was able to pull the trailer away from a fiberglass water storage tank and a pair of oil storage tanks on at the location.
Malakoff and Shady Oaks fire departments had the fire under control by the time the Athens Fire Department's Hazardous Materials unit arrived.
Fire retardant foam succeeded in extinguishing the blaze. 
One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, otherwise no injuries were reported.


KC Conducts Sex Offender Round-Up

Monitor Photo/Pearl Cantrell
Once a year, the Kaufman County Sheriff's Department calls on every convicted sex offender living in the county to validate the information on their registration is true and correct. "We keep pretty close tabs on these individuals," Sgt. Richard Gaddis said. Teams of four or five deputies and deputy constables covered the county Monday and Tuesday evenings. Between Kemp, Prairieville and Mabank only three sex offenders are in residence, and none within the city limits. There are 80 sex offenders living in county, the majority in Terrell and Forney, Gaddis said. They are required to register annually on their birthday, though a few must do so every 90 days. About 50 officers were assigned the task. "It went really well, quite smoothly," Gaddis said. This is the third year the county has conducted these roundups.


LC Manhunt Ends in 2 Arrests
Monitor Staff Reports
LOG CABIN-An early-afternoon search located an assault suspect hiding in a Log Cabin home, and also resulted in the arrest of a homeowner who denied the suspect was there.
Log Cabin Police Chief Buddy Barton reported he received a call near noon Oct. 11 reporting an assault by a family member.
Making contact with the victim, Barton was advised the suspect was Freddie James Osmer Jr., also known as "Getto Wood."
Barton found Osmer, 27, who fled into the surrounding woods when Barton attempted to place him under arrest.
Osmer, originally from Austin, was currently out on bond, having been charged with two felonies back in May, Barton reported.
When Barton lost site of Osmer in a cluster of homes, he radioed for backup, and approximately 15 officers - including Henderson County deputies, and officers from Payne Springs, Star Harbor and Eustace - set up a perimeter.
Approximately 90 minutes later, Barton and two other officers approached the third of Osmer's three known "hangouts," and one of the officers noticed a front door open.
The officers made contact with the homeowner, identified as Michael Payne, who gave verbal consent to search the home, but told officers there was no one else there.
Barton advised Payne there was a search underway for Osmer, and Payne told the officers he hadn't seen anyone.
During the search of the residence, Barton found Osmer curled up on the floor next to a bed.
Osmer was arrested without incident, and Payne was also arrested for hindering apprehension.
As of Thursday, Osmer was still held in the Henderson County Jail under bonds totaling $9,500, charged with assault with bodily injury, evading arrest, two charges of credit card abuse and giving a false identification to police.


Let's Go Fly a Kite

Monitor photo/Pearl Cantrell
The change in temperatures this week brought strong gusty winds over the lake, which Eustace resident John Stark, 31, took full advantage of Tuesday. He was trading between this yellow kite and a larger red kite, using them to pull him across the water and lift him while he performed acrobatics off Cedar Isle, near the Seven Points/Gun Barrel City line. Stark, a sociology student at UT-Tyler, learned to kitesurf (not parasail) when he lived in Corpus Christi, eventually teaching the sport with Third Coast Kitesurfing.