People, Places & Events
Eustace students win UIL Solo
and Ensemble contests
Special to The Monitor
EUSTACE–Congratulations are offered to Eustace High School Band students who participated in the UIL Solo and Ensemble competition in Prosper March 13.
Those band members competing were as follows:
• Amanda Burge and Haley Gudjohnsen, Class 1 Flute solos;
• Sybil Lockhart, Class 1 Sax solo;
• Aaron Minchew, Class 1 Tenor Sax solo;
• Alex Schlebach, Class 2 Horn solo;
• Danielle Felty, Class 1 Trombone solo;
• Deanna Schlebach, Class 1 Euphonium solo;
• Corey Owens, Class 1 Tuba solo; and
• David Allen and Steven Faust, Class 2 Snare solos.
Ensemble groups competing were:
• Amanda Burge, Haley Gudjohnsen and Jenny McConathy, Class 1 Flute Trio;
• Megan Maltos, Doniell Martin and Stefani Morgan, Class 1 Flute Trio;
• Alex Bates, Hubert Lowry, Michelle Mitchell and Lacey Owens, Class 1 Clarinet Quartet;
• Sybil Lockhart, Michael McConathy, Aaron Minchew and Garrett Rhodes, Class 1 Sax Quartet;
• Robert Bonner, Aaron Coffey and Kyle Roberts, Class 1 Trumpet Trio; and
• Danielle Felty, Pablo Lowry, Doyle Martindale, Corey Owens and Kyle Roberts, Class 1 Brass Quintet.
Danielle Felty and Corey Owens, along with the Sax Quartet, Trumpet Trio and Brass Quintet, qualified for the State competition, while Deanna Schlebach and Steven Faust also earned First Division ratings.
Sybil Lockhart, Aaron Minchew, Alex Schlebach, David Allen, the flute trios and clarinet quartet each earned Second Division ratings.
During the competition, students perform a solo with piano accompaniment, or play in an ensemble using music on the official state list.
Each listing is classed 1-3, according to difficulty, with Class 1 being college and professional level.
Each performance is then graded by a qualified judge with a rating score (1-5).
A First Division rating is the highest rating. Class 1 ensembles and memorized solos receiving first division rating qualify to go to the State competition in San Marcos May 29.