Early voting begins Feb. 14
HENDERSON COUNTY–Commissioners’ Court voted Jan. 4 to approve notice of the general primary election for the Democratic and Republican parties for Tuesday, March 1.
Early voting starts Feb. 14 and lasts through Feb. 25. County Election Administrator Paula Ludtke said no polls will be open on President’s Day, which is Monday, Feb. 21. Ludtke said that closure has been blessed by the Texas secretary of state.
Ludtke said there will be four early-voting locations open weekdays. The main early-voting location for the county is at The Texan venue in Athens, she said. The other three early-voting locations are at the First United Methodist Church in Chandler, Lakeview Assembly of God Church in Seven Points and the Henderson County Complex in LaRue.
The Seven Points location will be open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Feb. 14-18 and Feb. 22-24. Seven Points early voting will be held 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Feb. 25. The Texan in Athens will be open for early voting from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Feb. 14-18 and from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. during Feb. 22-25 early voting. The Chandler and LaRue early-voting locations will be open 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Feb. 14-18 and Feb. 22-25.
Eligible voters may cast a ballot at any early-voting center during operating hours, the Election Department said.
Ludtke said that because Henderson County has a population of 55,000 or greater, the State of Texas requires a weekend location for early voting. That weekend voting will take place from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 19 and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 20.
According to Ludtke, the weekend early-voting will be held at the County Election Center on East Larkin Street in Athens because another engagement has been scheduled at The Texan, the host of weekday early voting. The Texas secretary of state declared it satisfies state law to switch locations if notices are given about the change, Ludtke added.
In other business, the court:
• Approved the appointment of the March 1 general primary election voting tabulation district precinct judges.
• Approved renewing an agreement with the Texas Federal Surplus Property Program.
• Approved the reappointment of James Cook and Mike Erwin to the Emergency Services District (ESD) No. 1 Board of Directors, located in Trinidad, for terms ending Dec. 31, 2023.
• Approved awarding a bid to George P. Bane Inc. of Tyler for a 2016 John Deere motor grader for Precinct 3.
• Approved a right-of-way permit for Leagueville Water Supply Corp. to bore a water line under County 3613 in Precinct 3.
• Approved the payment of fiscal year 2022 bills in the amount of $25,219.44.
• Approved the payment of fiscal year 2021 bills in the amount of $214,809.03.