Key, Evans sworn into office
GUN BARREL CITY–Gun Barrel City Council approved the use of $80,000 out of the Hotel and Motel Fund for an Electric Fall Festival in November. The festival was the idea of Council Member Gary Lerew and Mistletoe Mania Owner and Event Planner Renee Weaver. Both Lerew and Weaver say the goal is to make the festival the equivalent of the Edom Art Festival and McKinney’s Arts in Bloom festival. While the festival is proposed to take place the first weekend of November, Lerew amended his motion to the month of November, leaving off the dates which gives the city freedom to change the date.
Judge Grace Wallace administered the oath of office for newly elected Council Member Place 4 Cindy Key and re-elected Council Member Place 2 Rita Evans. Anne Mullins who met her terms for council seat Place 4 was presented with a plaque for her years of service and dedication to the city. Council Member Richard Yaws then made the motion to appoint Lerew as Mayor Pro-Tem. Council approved the appointment of Lerew as Mayor Pro-Tem with four yes votes and one no vote.
In other business, council members:
• Appointed Anne Mullins to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
• Appointed Linda Tracy for the Board of Adjustment alternate position.
• Approved an awarding bid for a Fire Department Rescue Boat.
• Approved the replatting of lots 786, 787 and the public park in the Tamarack Subdivision, belonging to the Tamarack Property Owners Association physically located at 206 Spring Valley Drive into one lot, Lot 786-R.
• Approved a final plat for the Pittman Isle Subdivision, a 4.38-acre tract of land situated in the J. Cargale Survey, Abstract No. 282, City of Gun Barrel City, Henderson County.
• Approved Ordinance Number O-2022-012 calling for a special runoff election to be held June 28 for the election of a mayor.
• Approved the replatting of the Avila Tract in Avila Estates belonging to Daniel and Marsela Avila physically located at 737, 743 and 747 Luther Lane creating Tracts one, two and three.
• Approved the EDC Annual Financial Report for the Year ending Sept. 30, 2021.
• Approved the adoption of Resolution Number R-2022-007 approving a Renovation Grant and Performance agreement to John David Westerfield Revocable Living Trust in an amount not to exceed $25,000.
• Approved the EDC to sponsor the Lone Star Mower Racing Association in an amount not to exceed $1,000.
• Approved the EDC to sponsor the Texas Bass Nation Youth State Fishing Tournament in an amount not to exceed $1,000.