Grocery stores alter hours, limit stockpiling
Editor’s note- It is important to note that no confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Kaufman, Henderson or Van Zandt Counties as of press time Tuesday.
CEDAR CREEK LAKE–As people around the state watch to see what happens with the spread of coronavirus, all our local schools are on Spring Break, either scheduled or extended.
Mabank ISD- Remains closed March 16-20
• Reviewing options for at-home assignments and/or distance learning for students.
• District offices will be closed and all district events and competitions that have been scheduled within the district during this timeframe will be considered canceled until further notice.
• Has implemented a Grab and Go breakfast and lunch free to any children 18 years old and younger the week of March 16-20. Three campus distribution locations will serve students:
1. Lakeview Elementary School- 306 Harbor Point Rd., Gun Barrel City
2. Southside Elementary School- 109 Paschall Blvd., Mabank
3. Mabank High School- 18786 E. Hwy 175, Mabank.
• Meals will also be distributed via buses at various sites throughout the district to serve students and parents who are experiencing transportation difficulties. Those distribution locations are:
1. Payne Springs Fire Department- 12650 State Highway 198, Payne Springs
2. Prairieville Store- 11491 FM 90, Mabank
3. Seven Points General Dollar- 205 W. Cedar Creek Pkwy, Seven Points
4. Clearview Bible Church- 32651 FM 47, Canton
Time for meal distribution will be from 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. each day.
Malakoff ISD- Remains closed March 16-20
• Has implemented academic packets to be picked up at both district elementary schools beginning Wednesday March 18.
• Will be providing breakfast and lunch service at both elementary school locations starting Tuesday March 17.
Breakfast will be available for pickup from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and lunch will be available for pickup from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. • MISD will have limited school hours and staff available on campuses.
While school is closed the district will be cleaning and sanitizing all buildings in the district using disinfectant sprays.
UIL activities have been suspended at least until March 29. Youth leage sports (baseball, softball, soccer) are expected to follow suit.
With CDC Guidelines to limit gathering in groups to less than 10, many events around the lake area have been either canceled or postponed.
Tri-County Library – closed Tuesday March 17 – Tuesday March 24
Henderson County Library- Suspending Library programs for the remainder of March.
Bookish Grand Opening- Cancelled
Wildflower Festival Kemp- Cancelled
Cedar Creek Lake Area Chamber of Commerce Awards Banquet- will be rescheduled, GBC Chapter Breakfast canceled
Bealls- Closing at 6 p.m. daily.
Starbucks- Dine in closed, open for ordering only drive through only.
Senior Center at The Ballpark- Closed until April 1, Meals on Wheels deliveries are still active and efforts are being made to include those who normally visit the center for their meal.
Walmart has adjusted store hours from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. to allow associates to restock shelves and clean and disinfect the stores.
Brookshire’s has cut store hours temporarily to help restock and sanitize shelves. All stores are now open from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m.
In addition, the following items are limited in quantity to prevent hoarding and allow more customers to get what they need:
• Ground beef
• Fresh chicken
• Canned soup
• Household essentials
Dollar General Stores have dedicated the first hour of business to senior shoppers to allow the more fragile in our community the ability to purchase needed items.
Starbucks announced dine-in closed, open for ordering only drive through only.
Whataburger announced that their restaurants are drive-thru only. Jack-in-the-Box in Mabank is take out only. Church’s Chicken in Mabank is take out or drive thru only. Many other fast food restaurants may follow suit.
Canton has cancelled First Monday Trade Days for the first time since beginning in the 1850s.
First United Methodist Church in Mabank and Cedar Creek Lake United Methodist Church have cancelled all services and weekly activities until further notice.
First Baptist Church in Gun Barrel City suspended all church activities until further notice.
St. Jude’s Catholic Church will have Mass as usual at 9 a.m. and noon.
First Presbyterian Church in Mabank offers sermons on their website and Christian Life Center offers livestream services as does Pinnacle Church.
This is by no means a complete list of changes as this is a fluid situation and updates are continually coming in. The Monitor urges readers to comply with CDC guidelines and stay informed as updates occur.