Teachers, librarians, nurses see salary increase in 2020-21
MABANK-The Mabank Independent School District approved salary increases for their staff at the regularly scheduled board meeting July 27.
Teachers, librarians and nurses will see a $1,000 increase in salary for the upcoming school year, regardless of seniority. All other employees would see a 2% increase from the midpoint of the salary schedule from 2019-20. The board also increased the zero-year teacher salary by $500 for new hires.
The compensation package for staff will remain the same with $300 towards health insurance and a $10,000 life insurance policy for full-time employees and part-time employees that opt for those policies.
“The fact that we are in a state to do this is pretty great with all the unknowns that are coming,” Board President Kenneth Odom said.
The board also approved a food service meal increase for the 2020-21 school year by $.10 for students and $.15 for visitors and staff.
Superintendent Brad Koskelin also added that Mabank ISD prospectively could qualify for the federal Community Eligibility Program to allow for free breakfast and lunch to students regardless of whether they qualify for free meal services. Campuses must qualify with a certain number of students that qualify for free meal services and with preliminary numbers, it seems Mabank may qualify for that program.
In other business, board members:
• Approved an order authorizing the issuance of unlimited tax refunding bonds, appointed a pricing officer and delegated to the pricing officer the authority to approve the sale of the bonds. The board also established certain parameters for the approval of such matters as well as approved an escrow agreement and paying agent/registrar agreement. The board also levied an annual Ad Valorem tax for the payment of bonds and enacting other provisions related to the subject.
• Set a proposed rate for publication of notice of public meetings with an M&O tax rate of $0.9344, I&S tax rate of $0.325 with a total tax rate of $1.2594.
• Approved a renewal of student athletic insurance with Texas Kids First with no increase.
• Approved an interlocal agreement with Corsicana Regional Day School Program for the Deaf.
• Approved of the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Henderson County Adjunct Faculty request for the 2020-21 school year.
• Approved the personnel employment and resignation report.
• Approved the T-TESS Teacher Appraisal Period Calendar and T-TESS Teacher Appraisers for the 2020-21 school year.
• Approved all 2020-21 Campus Student Codes of Conduct housed within the 2020-21 Campus Student handbooks.
• Approved Mabank ISD Trustee Erik Tijerina to serve on the Mabank Economic Development Cooperation.