Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Smoke detectors save lives!

Posted in:
Article Image Alt Text

PAYNE SPRINGS–A working smoke detector likely saved lives in an early morning blaze in Enchanted Oaks, Payne Springs Fire Rescue reported on their Facebook page.
Early Monday morning at approximately 3 a.m., the volunteers of PSFR were alerted for a working structure fire in Enchanted Oaks. PSFR Engine 1 and Chief 1 arrived on location to find a two story house with 80% fire involvement.
All of the residents had managed to get out of the house after they were alerted to the fire by a working smoke detector. One resident who was sleeping on the second floor found his egress down the stairs blocked by fire and had to use a balcony to get in the first floor roof with his dog and jump from the roof to the ground.
There was a delay in getting the call to 9-1-1, as the residents all left the house with just the clothes they were wearing and it took multiple minutes for them to wake a neighbor and have them report the fire.
During extinguishment a power line burned and came down on a chain link fence. The fuse did not trip and the fence and parts of the house were energized. Two firefighters on scene were shocked and treated on the scene and released to full duty. This issue prevented accessing a large part of the house until the power was secured. One other firefighter was treated on scene and released for a minor wrist injury. Three of the residents from the house were transported by EMS with what appeared to be minor injuries.
The house and contents were a total loss. The family’s needs are posted in comments on the fire department page.
PSFR would like to thank the American Red Cross and Oncor for their assistance.
PSFR also thanks the  Mabank Fire Department, Gun Barrel City Fire Department, Eustace Fire Department and City of Malakoff Volunteer Fire Department for thier aid in extinguishing the fire.