County declines state’s offer to sell route out of Trinidad

Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

County declines state’s offer to sell route out of Trinidad

Posted in:
Body

ATHENS–Henderson County Commissioners’ Court voted unanimously Jan. 6 to decline an offer by the Texas Department of Transportation to sell for nearly $400,000 a bridge over Cedar Creek and a portion of the Farm to Market road leading to it.
That route is considered part of an escape trail out of Trinidad during emergencies such as train derailments along the Union Pacific railroad track that bisects the town.
“We don’t have these funds accessible to us today,” County Judge Wade McKinney said.
That came after an executive session involving the fire marshal, during which the county’s four commissioners and county judge joined in discussing the purchase of real property related to a 16.82-acre tract, described as Farm to Market Road 1667 right-of-way and structures.
Before the final vote, McKinney said the county obtained the original right-of-way through a prescriptive easement and that historical documents showed it was then “immediately transferred” to the state highway department. McKinney said in situations like this, when the state abandons that roadway, its officials usually give a county the ability to take over the rights at no cost. Not this time, McKinney said.
McKinney pointed out that Henderson County bought the right-of-way for State Loop 7 around Athens as well as the land upon which the Department of Public Safety’s Athens office sets, giving both to the state at no charge.
“I am extremely upset with TxDOT, to put the court in this position today,” McKinney remarked. “There is a legitimate emergency management issue. Legitimate. But that’s not solely the county’s responsibility either.” The judge continued that TxDOT’s “haste to get rid of this problem about this road puts the onus on this court today, and it’s quite an onus.”
There were public comments before the vote. Steve Grant, of Athens, said it’s “a road to nowhere” that serves one property owner. Grant said the land would cost $385,000 and called it an unnecessary expense, with unknown expenses in fixing the road and bridge over Cedar Creek. Grant pointed out the county has emergency powers to enter private property.
Dale Henley, of Longview (who said he works in Henderson County), asked the court to vote against the proposal, saying it’s a “piece of paper that will continue to cost the taxpayer into the future,” equating the purchase to an easement. Henley said the county would have the same access during an emergency, with “access exactly the same.”
Matthew Morton, of Athens, said while the county could cross private property in an emergency by cutting fences and gates, if the bridge over Cedar Creek is not maintained, then that access is questionable.
Morton said two weeks after the county’s Sept. 30 discussion of Trinidad’s ability to evacuate its portion south of the railroad tracks and the future of FM 1667 (during which the county commissioners’ court voted 3-2 to “express interest” to the state in taking over the road and bridge), a train stopped for an hour, blocking both crossovers.
“The people of Trinidad deserve a way out, if needed. They deserve to be able to get help in there, if needed,” stated Morton, who added that most of Trinidad’s population is south of the tracks.
Before the final vote, McKinney said, “There are multiple forces at work here, and when you try to split the difference down the middle, nobody’s happy. But we’re not happy with any of this. But I can guarantee that we’ll work to ensure the safety of the people of Henderson County.”
In other business, the court:
• Approved a request from the Henderson County Tax Assessor-Collector to refund tax overpayments, issuing four checks totaling $52,786.987.
• Approved the 2026 Notice of General Primary Election for the Democratic and Republican parties, which will be in March.
• Reappointed Roy Scruggs and Dusty Bannister to the Henderson County Emergency Services District (ESD) No. 1 Board of Commissioners (based in Trinidad and also serving Star Harbor, which is in Precinct 1) with terms ending Dec 31, 2027.
• Reappointed Allan Anderson and appointed Richie Alfred to the Henderson County ESD No. 4 Board of Commissioners (which meets in Tool and is within Precinct 1) with terms ending Dec. 31, 2027.
• Reappointed Ronnie Gold and Thomas Smith to the Henderson County ESD No. 10 Board of Commissioners (based in Eustace and located in Precinct 2) with terms ending Dec. 31, 2027.
• Approved changing an indigent defense county worker pay grade.
• Approved paying fiscal year 2026 bills totaling $109,932.39.
• Approved paying fiscal year 2025 bills for $190,846.78.
• Approved a replat in the Forgotten Acres subdivision (in Precinct 2), dividing one lot into two.