County seeks next Pct. 2 JP after resignation

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

County seeks next Pct. 2 JP after resignation

Subheader body

New subdivision regulations approved after hearing

Posted in:
Body

HENDERSON COUNTY–During its Oct. 8 meeting, Henderson County Commissioners’ Court acknowledged a resignation letter from Seven Points-based Justice of the Peace Precinct 2 Kevin Pollock, effective Jan. 5.
County Judge Wade McKinney said a letter dated Sept. 27 from Pollock lays out Pollok’s plans for his future “and we do wish him the best,” thanking Pollock for his years of service. The court then voted to start accepting applications and resumes for the post.
The court also approved newly proposed Henderson County Subdivision Regulations which govern plats, subdivisions of land, throughfare rights-of-way, lot frontages and setbacks, and which replaces the current county regulations.
Assistant County Attorney Kenneth Strawn told the court the previous regulations were initially approved in 2008 and then updated in 2018. The new regulations, which are available on the county’s website, are 82 pages long. The previous regulations (also linked on the county website) are 49 pages long.
According to Strawn, the main changes include addition of a legal exceptions form, discretionary exemptions to platting, differentiating between Tier 1 and Tier 2 developments (larger and smaller subdivisions), a uniform bond form with provisions for a 24-month building process (previously being 12 months to complete construction), eliminating the preliminary platting process to comply with state law, increased county filing fees, a broadened ability to regulate RV parks and the utilization of the county’s dedicated development office during the process. Lot frontages also are eliminated, he added.
Precinct 2 Commissioner Scott Tuley said the new regulations are “a way to make Henderson County look better. Drive-up appeal.” Strawn said if provisions aren’t “workable,” they can be amended. Strawn added that the county wants roads to be up to county standards, whether public or private.
Precinct 3 Commissioner Chuck McHam said there aren’t “a lot of wholesale changes” from the previous regulations, except for those incorporating changes to state law. McKinney said certain provisions allow room for variance from state law, such as for roadways and cul-de-sacs.
The county judge said preliminary platting, which has been eliminated by the state, was “the best way to protect property buyers” but certain interests had a “bigger lobby.” Tuley said the county believes in personal property rights but that state law dealing with county regulation of subdivisions states “what we shall do, not may. Shall.”
In other business, the court:
• Approved an agreement for an OpenGov financials contract for software support services.
• Approved the grant award for the fiscal year 2024 Bulletproof Vest Partnership federal funding, which County Grants Coordinator Danielle Vaughn said totals $22, 221.
• Approved a contract renewal with Appriss Inc. for the maintenance of fiscal year 2025 Statewide Automated Victim Notification Service (SAVNS) data.
• Approved awarding, within certain parameters, the federally funded American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) water system generators bid to Duplichain Contractors of Alto for $3,217,000, after Precinct 1 Commissioner Wendy Spivey recused herself from its consideration.
• Approved a Memorandum of Understanding and authorized the county judge to execute with entities receiving water system generator grants the county will distribute from ARPA funding, laying out responsibilities of each party.
• Approved paying fiscal year 2024 bills of $455,680.44.